If you are looking for the ultimate foodie vacation look no further than San Sebastian, Spain. San Sebastian has gained notoriety for two culinary experiences: Michelin star restaurants and tapas (Pintxos). After recently visiting, San Sebastia I can vouch for the amazing Tapas! In fact, the city quickly became one of my favorite European cities.
Michelin Star Restaurants in San Sebastian, Spain
Renowned for its molecular Basque cuisine, San Sebastian features more Michelin stars per capita than any other city in the world! No wonder it is one of the top culinary vacation destinations for foodies. Here are some of the favorite restaurants of travelers:
- Arzak (3 Michelin Stars) – one of San Sebastian’s best gourmet restaurants and has been recognized as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world.
- Kokotxa (1 Michelin Star) – Kokotxa serves some of the best regional dishes in the city.
- Akelaŕe (3 Michelin Stars) – With more than 50 years’ experience, Chef Pedro Subijana, serves up beautiful dishes full scrumptious flavors and textures
- Martin Berasategui (3 Michelin Stars) – Named after its famous chef, Martin Berasategui serves an al carte menu and a tasting menu that is full of exciting flavors and flawless presentation.
Best Tapas Restaurants (or Pintxos) to Visit in San Sebastian
Tapas are an inexpensive way to sample some of the most fantastic cuisines in the world. San Sebastian offers some of the best tapas restaurants in Spain:
- Gandarias – This Old Town restaurant focuses on classic preparation of quality ingredients.
- Borda Berri – Cooked to order, the tapas at Borda Berri, featured both rustic preparations and creative spins on traditional local ingredients.
- Zeruko – Located in Old Town, la hoguera (the bonfire), is probably their most famous dish. (sliced cod served over a smoking rosemary twig, chased with a caramelized-onion-and-parsley crostini and a vial of creamy asparagus soup)
San Sebastian isn’t just all about food!
Not just a Foodie destination, San Sebastian offers plenty to see and do. San Sebastian is a resort town on the Bay of Biscay in Spain’s mountainous Basque Country.
San Sebastian Old Town: One of the most popular places for tourists to visit is Old Town or (Parte Vieja). With charming cobbled streets, Old Town features the cities two oldest churches, the Plaza Zuloaga and the San Telmo Basque Museum.
Concha Beach: Often called the most beautiful city beach in Europe, Concha beach is a sand beach perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and paddling.
Monte Urgull: Enjoy the shady parkland on your walk to the summit of Monte Urgull where you will be rewarded with breathtaking views. One of Monte Urgull’s most famous landmarks is the statue of Christ overlooking the city.
Ready for the Ulitmate Foodie Vacation?
Be sure to give luxury travel advisor, Margi Arnold a call to discuss your foodie vacation to San Sebastian, Spain. With over 25-years’ experience in the travel industry Margi, is an expert that will help you personalize your trip and will ensure a worry-free vacation. Start by completing a vacation request or call Margi at 888-568-4432.